India’s main athlete Virat Kohli and sportswear model PUMA commissioned a pan-India research with market analysis company Kantar IMRB to know the present state of bodily exercise and sports activities adoption within the nation. The research additionally assesses the obstacles to taking part in sport usually. Moreover, it highlights that the most important motivation for adopting play is the sheer pleasure it brings and the way it can effortlessly be included in on a regular basis life. In keeping with the findings:
• 1/third of the whole inhabitants surveyed had not executed any bodily exercise even as soon as within the final 1 yr. Bodily exercise right here included any exercise at dwelling/outside/gyms/health facilities comparable to Operating/Strolling/Zumba/Yoga/Swimming and many others. in addition to sports activities comparable to Cricket, Soccer, Badminton, Tennis, Desk Tennis, Basketball, Volleyball, Hockey, Squash and native video games comparable to Kabaddi, Kho-Kho and many others.
• 57% of the respondents haven’t performed any sport for the final one yr. 3/4th of this group final performed a sport solely in class or faculty. Whereas 70% of the respondents between 18-21 years had performed a sport no less than as soon as within the final 1 yr, this determine dropped drastically as people progressed of their occupations, and diminished to only 26% within the age bracket of 36-40 years.
• 58% of those that don’t play any sport cited ‘Lack of time’ as the primary cause. Nonetheless, the analysis introduced out that the identical respondents additionally spent near 4-5 hours on social media, watching TV, private telephone conversations and utilization of varied messaging platforms on a typical working day (all put collectively). In actual fact, the typical frequency of importing content material on one’s social media handles was discovered to be 9 occasions in a month. Moreover, the typical variety of working hours for individuals who don’t play was discovered to be lesser than those that do (4.Eight hours vs. 5.Four hours).
• Apparently, 81% of those that do play mentioned they did so just because they ‘loved taking part in’. Different causes for taking part in sport embrace ‘holding match’ and ‘reduction from stress’. 76% p.c of those that play acknowledged that they play in any open areas that they discover close to their houses and 65% play with neighbors. Each clearly displaying that lack of infrastructure or unavailability of individuals to play with weren’t obstacles to play.
• Goa topped the checklist with 89% of the respondents taking part in a sport no less than as soon as within the final 1 month. This was adopted by Hyderabad and Mumbai. Gurgaon, Raipur and Patna rated low on this index with solely 18%, 15% and 12% of the respondents from these cities taking part in no less than as soon as within the final 1 month.
Responding to the findings Virat Kohli mentioned, “It’s stunning to see that one-third of the nation has not executed any sort of bodily exercise within the final one yr. When you’re bodily match, you’re extra energized to tackle challenges. I’ve skilled this personally, and due to this fact strongly imagine in main an energetic life-style.
“Expertise and social media is gaining choice over well being and health in our lives. This wants to vary. Sports activities may be seamlessly built-in into our each day life – one can do it wherever and at any time. Therefore, I urge everybody to Come Out and Play. Its enjoyable, relieves stress and helps us keep match.”
The survey lined 3924 respondents from the age bracket of 18-40 years (each female and male). The respondents had been unfold throughout 18 cities – Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, Cochin, Ghaziabad, Goa, Gurugram, Guwahati, Jaipur, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Patna, Raipur, and Surat.
(Findings pertain to respondents within the age bracket of 22-40 years)
First Printed: Might 8, 2018, 2:29 PM IST